Want to know how to lose belly fat? You’re not alone. Getting a toned tum is at the top of just about every gym-goer’s to-do list. A strong, defined core will boost your confidence as well as your posture. And we’re here to coach you on how to reduce belly fat the healthy way.
Despite what late-night infomercials might tell you, getting washboard abs is not as easy as five easy payments of $29.95. The absence of a defined abdomen is typically due to excess fat, rather than a lack of muscle.
The first step on your journey should be to get a balanced diet full of healthy meals.
While scoring a flat stomach is about discipline and healthy eating, one of the best ways to tighten your tummy is with core-focused exercise. We know the list of exercises can be endless, and we don’t want you to ‘rip’, ‘shred’ or ‘tear’ your abs into shape. So, we’ve put together a safe list of seven and a half ways to help you lose belly fat.
EXERCISES TO LOSE BELLY FAT
- Ab Rollouts. Using a gym ball, begin in a plank position with your shins on top of the exercise ball. Next, bring your knees to your chest and let the ball roll down your legs, then extend back into the plank position. Aim for 3 sets of 10.
- Walkout push-ups. From a standing position, reach down and plant your hands on the ground beside your feet. Walk your hands forward until you’re at the top of a pushup position. Complete a pushup, then walk your hands back to your feet. Aim for 1 set of 20.
- Front bridge to T. Beginning in a plank position, lift one arm off the ground and twist your body to face perpendicular to the floor. Raise your hand to face the sky so that your body forms a sideways T shape. Return to plank position and repeat on the other side. Aim for 2 sets of 10.
- Hanging knee raises. Begin by hanging from a pull-up bar. Lift your knees to your chest then return to a hanging position. Aim for 4 sets of 8.
- Side lunges. Stand tall with your feet shoulder-width apart. Take a big step to the side and squat your extended leg to ninety degrees with your other leg straight. Return to a standing position and repeat on the other side. Aim for 5 sets of 10.
- Arm to leg transfer Laying face up on the ground, position an exercise ball between your legs. Sit up into a crunching position and transfer the ball from your legs to your hands. From the crunch position, lower your shoulders and feet to the ground as you extend your arms above your head (while holding the ball). Crunch back up and transfer the ball to your legs and repeat. Aim for 5 sets of 5.
- Spiderman abs. Starting at the top of a pushup position, lift your knee to the outside of your body towards your elbow and hold. Return to starting position and repeat on the other side. Aim for 5 sets of 10.
7.5) Laugh! The all-important, final way to work out your core is to have a good old laugh. Laughter activates your core muscles and can burn between 10 and 40 calories a day. Plus, it makes you feel good. Aim for 15 sets of 1 minute a day.
Start your journey to a flatter tummy and a healthier lifestyle with Anytime Fitness. If you’re not already part of our community, you can try us for free.