This chilli recipe is one of those wonderful “dump and go” recipes for the slow cooker – meaning you can just dump all of the ingredients into the basin of the slow cooker, turn it on, and you’re done. It doesn’t get much easier! Packed with veggies and lean protein, this chilli is a great, healthy way to serve a crowd. Don’t have a crowd? Make it on the weekend and enjoy all week long!
Makes 8 generous servings
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons chilli powder (this is for a mild chilli; add more if you like it spicy)
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Combine the chicken breasts, tomatoes, salsa, onion, bell pepper, garlic, celery, corn, black beans, salt, oregano, chilli powder, and cumin in the basin of a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8.
- With 30 minutes remaining before serving, turn the heat off the slow cooker and shred the chicken using two forks. Leave the lid off and let it cool. Just before serving, stir in the Greek yogurt.
- Serve topped with your favourite chilli toppings (e.g. coriander, shallots, cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream).
- At very high temperatures, Greek yogurt disintegrates and becomes curdled—that’s why it’s important to let the chilli cool for a half hour before stirring it in. Whole fat or low fat Greek yogurt tends to curdle less easily than no fat.
- Frozen chicken breasts are fine; no need to thaw before putting in the slow cooker.
Nutrition Per Serving
Does not include toppings
425 calories, 5g fat, 68g carbs, 31.5g protein