May 3, 2018
Why magnesium is so important for your muscles
This article is brought to you by Bioglan.
Magnesium is involved in over 300 chemical reactions making it an essential mineral for our bodies to function, however one of its top uses is to help relieve muscle aches and cramps.
Our muscles require many nutrients for them to function properly, in particular, magnesium and calcium. Deficiency of these nutrients can result in mineral and electrolyte imbalances, which is a risk factor for cramps and aches. Therefore, it’s important that you obtain adequate levels of nutrients to support healthy muscle function.
Muscle cramps are an uncontrollable and often painful spasm of a muscle. Any muscle can be affected, but muscles in the lower body such as calf, quads and those in the foot are particularly susceptible. A cramp can last for a few seconds or minutes and generally resolves by itself. Cramps can occur up to six hours after exercise and while the exact cause is unknown, risk factors include dehydration, poor blood circulation, tight, inflexible muscles or muscle fatigue from overuse.
Luckily, there are some easy ways to avoid muscle cramps and aches. Here are our top 4 tips:
- Keep hydrated. Dehydration is one of the primary causes of muscle spasms so drink plenty of water throughout your day to maintain your hydration levels.
- Warm up and cool down. A proper warm-up and cool-down, including plenty of stretching, can keep cramps at bay, and help you avoid injury. Dedicate some time before and after your workout to stretch and get the blood flowing to your muscles.
- Supplement your diet. Incorporating additional magnesium, zinc, and vitamins B, D, and E to your daily diet can reduce the chance of muscle cramps and aches.
- Use electrolytes. Low levels of sodium and potassium can often cause muscle cramps and stitches, so find a good source of electrolytes such as a banana or try a magnesium powder containing potassium and sodium such as Bioglan Active Magnesium Powder.
Bioglan Active Magnesium Powder has been specially formulated to provide a high strength dose of elemental magnesium plus amino acids, zinc and B vitamins to help replenish key nutrients lost during exercise and revitalize the body so you can keep training at your best. It includes:
- 300mg elemental magnesium as amino acid chelate and citrate, both forms that are easily absorbed and utilised by the body. Not only does magnesium aid in muscle recovery and repair but it can help to reduce the frequency of migraines, ease PMS symptoms and promote restful sleep.
- Amino acids taurine, glutamine and carnitine to support energy production and muscle recovery and repair.
- Vitamins B3, B6 and B12 for energy production and help the body adapt to stress.
- Zinc to support muscle strength and recovery and help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Potassium to replace electrolytes lost during exercise and support muscle function.
- Calcium to support strong bones.
Bioglan Active Magnesium Powder is sugar free, colour free, with a natural orange flavour and can be mixed with water or juice. It’s the perfect addition to your daily training routine to help replenish key nutrients and avoid muscle cramps and aches.
Try Bioglan Active Magnesium Powder for yourself: http://bit.ly/2iheECS and use code AF25 to receive 25% off your purchase.